Saturday, March 22, 2008

Traveling - Written March 19th

Beyond the glorious side of travel things are not always as exact as a Swiss watch. I am currently in the land of the famed watches. I am in a two story Starbucks, with likely 1,000 sq feet of sitting area upstairs away from the bustle and noise of the latte machines below. It is a wonderful sitting arrangement. It is encouraged by culture; the “zum mitnehmen” idea is strictly American. That is, the German phrase for “to go” gathers rarely more than a blank response. Starkly contrast, you have to ask specifically for a paper coffee cup or naturally you’ll receive your piping hot drink in a classy porcelain mug. The beauty of Swiss culture comes at a price though – the watch I want is just shy of $2,000 and my grande house coffee, nestled next to my computer, set me back $4.90.

Though wonderfully situated and content, I’m supposed to be in Germany right now. Today marks Crystal’s 23rd birthday, the halfway point to my 27th birthday (wow to both of those eh) and the first day of a week with my great friend Mike Greenhoe. Unfortunately, after 9.5 hours on a train and 2 hours waiting at the station, I have come to believe that Mike and I had a misunderstanding on the telephone; I think he may plan on picking me up at the wrong 9:40, the one at night. My cell phone is worthless because Greenie is not answering at his home and he is one of the lucky few who have abstained from the cellular world.

Given my newly opened schedule and the occasion of the date I should reflect. I can remember when Dustin was born, but I really can’t reach back to Crystal’s. In that, I can remember the old red house, and I can remember the trailer, but I guess chillin with her goes back to the early days in my parents’ current home. Crystal loved musicals and while growing tough and rugged I somehow succumbed to her usually in control way of life and danced along. Her favorite of that era was Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

High school is where I remember her best. She joined my crew in my final year. I drove her to school every day. Many days I’d drop her off and skip class with one of the boys to go out deer hunting, she’d do no such thing. While only seven one-hundredths separated our GPAs she was a far better student. I remember Friday nights and taking Crystal to the movies, given she call one of her cute little friends, and just hanging out, having fun. I remember when she started dating some freshman who, to me and my buddies, hadn’t yet earned the dating right. They held hands but the poor dude knew he was pushing his ever tight bounds. I remember when another frosh insulted Crystal and made her cry. The next day he apologized, surrounded by 6 or so much larger senior guys encouraged a beneficial change in the boy. I never again heard of him insulting a female.

I guess everyone is older now. Not in a bad way, that’s how life moves, it sort of undulates along its merry way towards God; at least that is His intention. I’ve managed to successfully dodge Cupid’s arrows, though I’m told that my quickness may be my error. Crystal had other luck and now has a beautiful baby boy. While my concern is getting the last 25 miles of my trip to Germany so I have a place to sleep tonight hers is much more selfless, marriage and a baby – I really respect that.

It should be fun to get home and see Jack, Joshie, Elsa and the older family members (who deserve to be named but you’re all old enough to know who you are and tough enough to get over it). July 4th, one of the greatest days of the year for our small town, will give extra joy because of three extra lil’ ones. Crystal, Shane, Mom & Dad, thanks for years of selflessness already given and many more to come.

4 comments:

crystalkupper said...

Thank you Jonathan for your beautiful words. This means more to me than any birthday gift you could buy, though I'm still excited to see what you got me. ;-) You're a wonderful brother and I love you.

srid20 said...

Fun times. Jill and I were just talking to Steve and Kathi a couple days back about how you are good to travel with because of your flexibility, always willing to take whatever puches the travel gods throw at you. Glad you were able to find a nice warm spot to sit and reflect after your plans fell through.

Thanks for the nice words about our kiddos. They just keep growing. It will be fun to reunite here in a few months...

February Jill said...

I am very insulted to not be included on the "selfless" list! I took you to homecoming for crying out loud! Talk about selfless...

Scott and Fiona said...

Crystal has one GREAT birth-day!!!