Friday, March 7, 2008

Lazy Days and Travel Plans

Until Monday things have been sunny and slow in Kärnten (the Austrian state that I am currently in, which actually more resembles a county). I've been having a great time enjoying the weather though it has temporarily set skiing in a back seat. There is a 7 mile long lake just 20 minutes walk from my place; it has offered me some wonderfully lazy days.
Recently, a great friend and longtime employee of Black Forest Academy, Mike Greenhoe, visited me on his birthday. Happy 26th birthday Mike! On the day of Mike's arrival it was my turn to host the Skaters' Bible Study that I've been attending so I decided to make some jalapeño poppers, brats, and fries for the occasion. Mike's a Michigan boy so I thought he'd appreciate some home style cooking. The picture below is Greenie and I three years ago, Feb 2005, but I liked it so you get to see it.

On top of a full day skiing (all the pictures are on his camera which is now in Germany, sorry), we spent most of the time just hanging out on the back deck and wandering around the lake.
Greenie particularly liked this little cattle trough/statue. Benches, troughs and little pieces of art seem to be scattered everywhere across the German, Swiss, and Austrian countrysides. It's great for hiking because the water is all fresh spring water that pours into a basin, you can always refill your bottles with pure, tasteless, and safe water.

We actually trespassed onto somebody's dock so we could hang out right on the lake. There were probably 20 such docks that nobody was using so we assumed that the gate was for stray animals and not to keep people out.

Since Greenie's departure and returning from Rome, most of the rest of my time has been busy trying to learn German, enjoying the snow (Monday we had a decent storm), and planning for future trips. On March 19th my oldest baby sister hits another year and I head to Germany as I begin phase two of my travels: I will be visiting the Black Forest of Germany, then back to Austria for a wedding, followed by travels to Switzerland, Berlin, Athens, and finally Heidelberg - all before my mom visits me April 28th. Above is Google's marked map of my travel locations (click it to make it bigger). I should have some great photo essays for this blogsite.

P.S. I figured out how to make the pictures clickable so they get big for you. It's a royal pain but I'm going to try to redo the Rome blog for you Nick.

1 comment:

srid20 said...

Glad you had a good time with Greenhoe.
Jill's photos are always 'clickable', but I'm not sure she does in on purpose. :-)
Must be a setting somewhere...