Wednesday, March 26, 2008

BFA Spring Break

For those left on the edge of their seats at the end of my last blog I did make it to Germany. With a huge bag I walked across the city of Basel, Switzerland and hopped a bus at the border of Germany that took me all the way to Black Forest Academy, home of the illusive Mike Greenhoe. (Turns out I did not specify that I was coming via night train and it was my fault, oh well). Above is Greenie and I having too much fun – it’s what we do. Below he's checking his watch to see if it's time to pick me up from Basel, 12 hours late.
I stayed with Mike for a week. He is a resident assistant/director at BFA and is on a well-deserved two week spring break. We did nothing of great note the entire time. We just hung out. We hiked to the top of Hoch Blauen. We watched some NCAA tourney basketball (very late at night I’ll add). We watched movie after movie. And we just hung out.
A common thread of my travels so far required that we prepare, we cook, and we feast. Mike threw an Easter Eve dinner for many of his friends and coworkers – I helped with the main course as Mike and another guy struggled for over an hour to make pasta from scratch. Flour covered the counters, walls and floor, but the pasta was a success. The tiny kitchen, insufficient for a small family and entirely inadequate for a 16 person meal was the night’s biggest loser. Tornado Chef Mike took his toll. It was a sweet time.
As a precursor to the Freiburg Marathon, which I am attending on April 6th as a fan for Mike, he and I visited the old German town. My friend, Morgan, who lives in Bend, is spending a year there studying at the University. Morgan led us around her city (shown on the right) as we walked key parts of the race.

Finishing my trip I trained to Zurich. On a long layover I braved the inch or so of snow and spent a few hours walking the well-lit metropolis. A surprising amount of fancy cars whipped their way past me. Zurich (shown below) may well be the capital of the expensive and the rich.

6 comments:

Jeanea said...

sounds like fun! I wish I could have seen the house after the pasta incident :-) hehe I'm glad you were able to catch up with friends though...

Btw, your hair is getting LONG!! when you get back and run the Butte to Butte, you're going to need a ponytail :-)

crystalkupper said...

Wow, making homemade pasta? There must not be any babies in that household! ;-)

Jonathan said...

Nope, just 3 single teachers who have more than enough time - though, they did nothing, it was all Greenie, myself, and a visitor named Daniel (one of the teachers's brothers)

Jonathan said...

Oh, and no ponytails ever. If Dusty's sweet red, white, and blue headband is not enough it will get cut. It's bad enough having to constantly wear hats to control the ability to look this cool.

Jeanea said...

LOL...ok, so I happened to be in the same room as my mom when I read your comment and burst out laughing. Of course, I had to explain the laughter and then show her the pictures...she said that if you leave it till Christmas, you could play Jesus! hehe

James said...

wow jonathan, now i know why you e-mailed me for a hair band. weirdo....