Monday, June 30, 2008

Colmar & Eguisheim France

On our way to the airport (en route to England) Mom and I stopped in two little towns in the Alsace region of France, Colmar and Eguisheim. Both are quaint, one is a town that I must see every time I visit the area.
Colmar, the first town we visited, is much larger than Eguisheim and much busier with tourists and bustling gift and coffee shops. I love the partially-timbered designs.
There are a number of squares and churches in Colmar; this may be the prettiest of them all.
I'm still working on the hair (this picture is from May, imagine 7 more weeks of growth). It's ridiculous I know and it will get cut pretty quickly after returning home.
Below is the outer ring of Equisheim. Just past this picture Mom and I stopped at a little crape shop and had a wonderful lunch.
The road is tiny on the ground, then headroom tightens as each story above expands outward. I guess this is called making the most of your postage stamp lot.
The French in this region are not afraid of color. I wonder if they intentionally plan on having a different color than their neighbor or if they are just that unique--after all, they are French.
Here is Mom posing among the little houses.
Below looks like the city planner had a little trouble with his circle expanding so he threw in another row of houses. As you can see it would be impossible to get even a Ford truck down these roads let alone any sort of fire equipment.
Eguisheim's main square boasts of a small church that is open to the public and a fountain. I forget which one but a pope took refuge here about 800 years ago.
Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures outside of these towns, they are surrounded by vineyards. Every hill in this region is packed with grapes and tiny local wineries. Either way, the Alps were behind us and an airplane was only hours away. While I'm not a huge fan of France, this area can't be denied for its beauty or wine making abilities.

5 comments:

crystalkupper said...

This looks so much like a lot of the French towns we visited! So very European. Can't wait to see you this week!

We're The Christensons said...

Awesome post my friend. The locks are a-flowing... you look like you should be a local... just need to be holding a pint and pipe! You're the man!

James said...

cool dude. i'm glad you're coming back for the 4th. miss you!

Nick said...

Those houses look fantastic. I love the look of sequential stories increasing in area.

srid20 said...

great pics.

Glad you're back home again...

SR