Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Rothenburg - The Walled City

The Romantic Road, one of the few parts of Southern Germany that I'd never seen before this trip, climaxes in Rothenburg. This walled city is surrounded by gravel parking lots attesting to its shameless tourism industry that ensures the locals stay well fed.
Unlike the old days when Rothenburg used the wall as a protective fortress/something to throw trash over the exterior of the town is neatly mowed with well kept trials and fresh blooming trees.
The wall itself contains tower after tower. There is actually a walkway on the top inside edge of the wall that connects each tower. It's tough to see in the pictures but there are quite a few slits in the wall along that walkway presumably to shoot arrows through. The walkway as well as the still 100% intact wall circle the entire city, which is very large compared to most old European cities.
After following a trail around about half of the city Mom and I were ready to make our entrance (above).
This picture is actually before entering the city, yet due to BlogSpot I cannot change the photo order and still have them linked so you can click to see the image full size; you'll survive.
At any of the numerous gates we could freely pass back outside. In fortress days I'm sure there would have been guards and gatekeepers ensuring trouble stayed outside. Above is Mom in front of one of the gates we zigged and zagged past.
In constant competition, Mom and I would see who could out-do who with the hair. I still think she has me a bit on length - before I catch her though it's gonna get cut.
Inside the city is a throwback world of cobblestone and color. Bakeries and gift shops line the streets while colorful signs adorn the partially-timbered architecture. A company who hand builds these gas powered throwback buggies offers a country tours for quite a hefty price. Check their website if you have time, it's in English, http://www.aaglander.de/.
Rothenburg, like many European cities, is not flat, nor is it set within a grid. What they end up with is cool angles where houses are custom built. I really enjoy the partially-timbered look, especially when mixed with neat angles or overhangs.
Had I known how cool Rothenburg was I would have planned more than an afternoon there. However, King Ludwig's Castles waited anxiously for our entrance fees and the town of Reutte, which we only visited for a few hours, waited to give two crazy stories.

8 comments:

Maureen said...

We visted Rothenburg in the dead of winter so it's nice to see some green on those trees!

crystalkupper said...

What a beautiful town! And I like the one of you and Mom on the bridge. Sheesh, I think I'm going to start calling you Fabio.

We're The Christensons said...

What up Suave Hair Man - your hair looked bitchin' my friend - like a true European! Keep sending us posts! Can't wait for your return! - Gman

Candi said...

You're right - it would have been great to have more time in Rothenburg. It's a beautiful city, but it was sure cold that day! I look miserable in that one picture :-(

Jonathan said...

We saw all the weather didn't we. That was even a nice day. We're both bundled pretty well. It's ironic that the warmest part of the trip was London - that blog will be probably in a week or so.

Scott and Fiona said...

I love Rothenburg!!! I'd been there a couple times, but it's been a while. I also got to say that your photography throughout the blogging has been absolutely stellar my friend!! I was especially impressed with the pictures you took in Greece. Good to keep up with you and I'm glad you're taking in my home sights, sounds, and smells. Cheers bro!!

Stefanie said...

Glad you are doing this - you will enjoy it even more later when you are home and doing the regular things that the rest of us are doing right now.

What a trip and so glad your mom got to be there with ya.

Still can't wait for London pics!

Clare Wilde said...

Hey, Jonathan! Just discovered your blog while searching for the weather in Rothenburg. We are headed to Europe with our 13 year old Grandson, Dillon, this June, and Rothenburg is our first stop after flying in to Frankfurt. Then on to Prague, Vienna, Hallstatt, Salzburg, and back to Frankfurt. Only 19 days, but still a great first trip for Dillon !!! I'm going to read your entire blog, a little at a time. So far, it's super !!!! Thanks so much for doing it. How's the hair now? Short? Are you a fireman in Oregon.
Cheers
Clare Wilde Felton, CA.