Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Santorini, Greece - a volcanic island

After accepting a local's advice I took a long ferry ride to the island of Santorini. It is a crescent shaped island that once was a rim of an active volcano. All that is left is sun-heated rocks and some Greeks that thought white houses would look good on the cliffs.
The ferry stopped a few times along the way; this island (I can't remember its name) was the first stop. Given my short time frame it may have been wise of me to choose an island that was close to Athens, but onward I went.
I spent a good portion of the ride inside bogging my way through The Confessions of St. Augustine. I recommend the book, it's great; not all great books are easy to read though. I managed to step out into the wind a few times. Sunset was particularly nice looking over the hazy endlessness of the sea. (The photo above is actually a reflection in a window).
Athens was dirty, so I found a very nice hotel on Santorini that was only €5 more per night than the hostel had been back on the mainland.
This was the evening view from my room's balcony. It was very nice to have a private space after living for a few weeks in hostels, which are little more than bunk beds jammed into any open space.
Much of the island's buildings are white. It really made me wish that I had remembered some sunglasses. Unfortunately, the Greeks version of style is a bit wild and I couldn't find any new shades that suited my no-so-blingy taste.
Santorini is an island where one would take their bride on an anniversary. There is little to do but sleep, shop, and dine. I am glad to have visited, but I would not again choose to go alone. Due to time constraints and ferry schedules I booked a nighttime ride back to Athens where I hopped a flight back to Berlin - I had a party to attend, a weekend to enjoy, and a mother to pick up after her transatlantic flight.

7 comments:

We're The Christensons said...

Killer man! That first pick is SWEEEET! Good to talk to you the other day man! Stay safe. -G&C

Jeanea said...

Oh my goodness! Based on your pictures, I think this is the prettiest place you've been to yet! It's gorgeous!

crystalkupper said...

I love the first picture! The colors are so fantastic, so vivid and alive. I'm so jealous...by the way, you took a fairy ride, did you? That makes for a grea visual...I believe you meant FERRY ride. ;-)

Jonathan said...

If you'll notice, the second ride was on a ferry: the first, though, was a rather floaty experience that invovled some pixy dust and a bug looking creature.

Nick Kupper said...

My favorite picture is the reflection in the window. I like how it looks eerie like a London horror scene.

Stefanie said...

Jonny,

Man, I had no idea you had a blog! Sorry, I would have been commenting for awhile now had I figured it out. Becca's friend said she loved your blog on her comment and then I checked it out!

Awesome pics - it's late, and I haven't had time to read everything...but I will stay tuned and write more later.

Love ya!
Stef

srid20 said...

Man, I'm so far behind on reading your blog posts. I'll try to catch up, promise.

I've always admired the beauty of Santorini in pictures online and your pictures just confirm it. It looks like a great place to visit, although it sounds like you need a partner...