Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Heidelberg, Germany

Long planned and longer awaited, I finally visited Heidelberg with my buddy Greenie. We stayed with the Melli family, missionaries who go back with me to my college days. Heidelberg is a military town with a large U.S. base; it also has a huge fortress, half in ruin. The city is situated along a river, between two long hills. As you look up, the fortress would have protected both the city and the passage on the river.
It was a formidable structure that has taken centuries to start the process of decay, though with a few exceptions as shown above the fortress is in great shape.
Crossing the river and climbing up, up, and up some more stairs is the famous philosopher's way. True to its name we pondered and debated intense topics; the meaning of life, whether or not to count wood chuck chucking records if the wood chuck had used any sort of steroid, and relationships - you know, un-understandable topics.
The city is quaint and small, situated neatly. As with many German cities it also boasts a nice walking district where cars and bicycles are not allowed. These areas are always the most happening part of town filled with street cafes, shopping and restaurants.
This trip was a great relationtional relief after a long spell away from my friends and computer. If you squint just right you can see Greenie and the girls walking above. After 12 days alone, this trip refilled me. It also put me two hours closer to Frankfurt Airport where my mom was to arrive in only a few days.

4 comments:

Stefanie said...

That's just amazing Jonny. I have only been to London in Europe and of course enjoyed it thoroughly - but what you are doing now is so cool. Everything has such history and age to it there.

I am envious, but in a good way!

How are you doing about being away during Grandma's last days?

Miss ya!

Stefanie said...

Just read your comment - and it all makes sense.

Grandma is in the best hands!

And can't wait to see your London pics:)

Maureen said...

Oh how I miss Heidelberg!! We used to drive up there all the time because the PX was so much better then what we had down in Stuttgart. It is so neat to see pictures of it again...especially when I've climbed all those stairs so many times!

crystalkupper said...

I like the name of the town -- it flows off the tongue.