Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Where I Am Living, Spittal, Austria

Until the end of March I am in Spittal an der Drau, Austria. It is a town of about 18,000 people, so a decent city by Alpine standards. It has much of the quaint feel of any European city and offers much of the same exciting color schemes and architecture.
At one point this was a walled city similar to many others around this area. There is little but a remnat of the wall, but this arch is a piece of that history.
The old wall was a stone thing that wasn't too glorious. It is now just a part of the town with the modern city limits extending probably two miles past this old wall.
The town is long and skinny, tucked neatly into a little valley that is split by the hill pictured below. On the other side of that is a lake, the Millstättersee, which is also long and skinny. This region, I'm told, is much more the summer paradise than winter wonderland. I guess I planned my trip backwards.
In all, this is a pretty town, often shadowed by a decent mountain directly to the south. There is nothing that I need that is more than a 15-20 minute walk with most essential things being closer.

4 comments:

Glory Laine said...

I just finished up cleaning mac n' cheese off of two faces and picked out little pieces of green beans out of babies hair. I wish I were with you right now looking at those beautiful buildings. But hope is around the courner....nap time!

February Jill said...

Nothing is more than 15-20 walk away except your family! Wish we could visit. It looks very beautiful. I love the multi-colored buildings.

Jonathan said...

Yeah Jill - the 29 hours of cars, planes, tranes and layovers does exceed the 20 minute threshold. You should just come visit I guess.

srid20 said...

Bro. Where's the snow??? I thought you were going to be in the Alps where you could go skiing everyday right out your back door.
Other than that it all looks pretty nice. Wish we could visit...
SR