Thursday, February 21, 2008

Rome

This week I spent three full days in Rome. I would consider Rome one of the true birth cities of our Western Civilization. I would also call Rome a filthy place (but not quite along the lines of Mexico). It is a mix of modern, medieval and exceptionally ancient.
The picture above is one of Rome's newest sources of pride. Admittedly, I did not take this picture becuase of massive scaffolding covering over half of the building for a restoration/cleaning project (credit Wikipedia for this pic, the rest are mine).
People motor past millennia old structures at dangerously high speeds without even a glance. Buses, cars, crotch rockets, and scooters fight desperately to save 30 seconds. We walked past a bus/SUV accident just moments after the bus rammed into one of the few rigs in Europe that could handle the impact. Motorcycles and scooters don't seem to have rules - staying within lanes is for the meek, high speed passing/life-risking is for the Romans.
Not too surprisingly, most of the ancient ruins are related to some sort of religion. There are temple mounts nearly everywhere. When outside the most touristy part of downtown Rome it is easy to find modern buildings that are using 1st century colonnades as part of their foundation.
Actually, the ancient Romans had an amphitheatre that seated well over 10,000 people that is now a converted apartment building. It piggy-backed on the arches and columns built in the year 13BC. It is common in Rome to read an information kiosk that talks about people throughout history plundering sites for sake of easy-access building supplies.
Perhaps the most outstanding part of Rome is the historical influence, exceptional buildings, and priceless art owned by the Catholic Church. Picture above is Rafael's 16x25 foot painting, The School of Athens, below is Michaelangelo's unbelievable sculpture, Pietà.
Rome is dotted with frequent basilicas, or cross-shaped churches. I'd assume these churches average a seating capacity of less than 200, average a Sunday attendance of less than 10, and average the size of a high school gymnasium -- each filled with golden objects, sculptures, and classic art. The financial abuse by the Catholic Church is clearly displayed by the wealth at the Vatican City. Every room in the Vatican is covered in art, every roof is decorated with value that likely outprices a normal house (below is one such roof). It took me over 2 hours to quickly browse their museum, which is climaxed with a pass through the Sistine Chapel.
I took the trip with a guy from Knoxville, TN named Andy. His sister lives near here and gave him my number when he was travelling through. I spent a bit more money this week than I would have liked but in all it was a great trip filled with plenty of sights, a crazy story, and impressions to last most people a lifetime.

3 comments:

Daylan said...

Well looks like you're having quite the adventure! How long have you been traveling, and how long will you travel for? This is my second year teaching in Kenya. I applied to this school in Nairobi 2 years ago, got accepted, and here I am! I love it, but I will be returning to Oregon in June. It's great to hear from you!

crystalkupper said...

Wow, love the picture of you! I agree with you about the ridiculously awesome-looking churches, but nobody ever uses them for what they were made for. Sad. Did you go with anyone besides Andy?

Anonymous said...

Rome was probably our favorite city on our European visit. I would love to go there again. There is sooooo much to take in that even 3 days doesn't hardly begin to scratch the surface of what is available. I do remember the crazy traffic, beautiful churches, etc. I would love to go back and was sure to toss a coin over shoulder into Fontana de Trevi. I'm still waiting for my speedy return though.

Glad you got to get out again. Sounds like you're having a good trip. Hopefully it will snow soon!!!
Shane