Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Berner Oberland, Switzerland

After our morning in Meersburg Mom and I drove into the heart of Switzerland. We visited the towns of Mürren and Gimmelwald. The towns view the majestic 13,600 foot Jungfrau, which is accompanied by the almost as tall Eiger and Mönch.
Mürren must survive completely on tourism. There are no automobiles in the town, everyone goes everywhere on foot; there are, however, a few tractors. I'm not sure how many guesthouses and hotels there are -- many! This area is a busy ski resort by winter and wandering/hiking area by summer.
A short walk down a paved path leads to one of my favorite European villages, Gimmelwald. This quaint little place boasts of one hostel and one bed & breakfast; nothing else. There can't be more than 50 residents, all of which are related. This village also has no cars.
The trails offer view after view of the mountains across the way. We were actually lucky enough to see a few avalanches caused by the weight and pressure of the melting snow.
We hiked as far as this waterfall. In my younger days, I hiked over this fence and climbed up these slippery rocks to get pictures. Funny thing is that those pics are now in a photo box -- I don't think I've pulled them out since development.
We strode back up to Mürren and cruised to the top of town, hoping to hike a few miles back to the gondola that lifted us over the massive cliffs these towns both sit on (I'd guess somewhere in the ballpark of 1,000 feet). The snow was still piled too high in the trees though to do much hiking so we mosied towards the car and ultimately the town where I lived for a year, Maugenhard, Germany.
While the Alps don't have the cool shapes of the volcanic Oregon mountains, they have a naturally stark appearance; they're rugged, tough, and steep. They also get enough water to grow lush green grass far above the tree line. It is quite a treat to hike the rugged, yet different than home, Alps.

5 comments:

James said...

jonny, your hair is getting so long. it's...beautiful? haha. so today jill and i went into eugene and we ordered shirts to be made for the butte to butte. They say "The Jackson-Riddle Clan" on the back. I'm so excited...aren't you? Can't wait to see you, love ya
~james

crystalkupper said...

So why is the Jackson name first??? Anyways, love the quaint small town, beautiful hotel, and mountains. Please please get rich quick and take me back.

Candi said...

Looking at these pictures took me right back to that feeling of having to go to the bathroom so badly, you could almost die (or wet your pants) and you telling me there are no public restrooms anywhere near. Oh my, with all that incredible beauty, why would I think of that?!

dale said...

I remember standing in that exact same spot as Mom in Murren.

Nick said...

I would love to live in a town like that. The less people the better.